Sidbury Under-10s edged out in thrilling match with Ottery St Mary
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury Under-10s were involved in a thrilling softball meeting with Ottery St Mary, one won by the Otters by a margin of just two runs.
Sidbury won the toss and Cleo Turley opted on fielding first. Ottery pairs produced some good batting but the first four pairs were dominated by the Sidbury bowlers who kept them to 59 runs with three wickets taken by Chris Wallace, Daisy Grove and Ellie Monro Higgs and Daisy Grove and Ellie Wood getting maiden overs. The last pair for Ottery then started hitting out and put 30 runs on in the last four overs to take Ottery to 289 runs.
Sidbury then came in to bat. After the pairings of Chris XWallace and Jerry Huadeng, Alex Williams and Karan Bountra and Esme Bagwell and Daisy Grove had had their time at the wicket, Sidbury had crept ahead by six runs. Ottery fielders then took three great catches in quick succession, including one diving left hand catch, to bring Ottery into the lead with Sidbury needing 44 runs of the last four overs to draw.
Cleo Turley and Lucy Tanner then stepped forward and over the next four overs either hit a four (four of them) or a six (one), or ran at every available chance.
Three balls to go, and the girls needed nine runs when a ball struck Cleo Turley in the chest forcing her back onto her stumps and was given out- after a debate it was reclassified as a no ball and batting continued with seven to get off the last two deliveries!
You may also want to watch:
A single on the penultimate ball left them with a six needed of the last ball. With a tremendous effort Cleo connected well and the ball sailed towards the boundary, sadly for Sidbury touching down just short and rolling over for a four!
Ottery had won by two runs, but it was the closest of matches played in the best spirit. Thanks must also go to the Ottery players and coaches for a great game.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients