Sidbury Under-8s edged out by Whimple in entertaining encounter
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury Under-8s played host to Whimple last Sunday, writes David Monro Higgs
The slightly overcast morning saved the children from the attentions of their parents sun creaming and set the scene for some brilliant cricket as the children’s skills continued to grow through the season.
Captain Esme Bagwell won the toss and decided her side should bat first.
The openers, Scott Monro Higgs and Thomas Grove again started well with a six from Scott and four 4s between the pair earning them 31 runs in the opening four overs.
The remaining pairs continued batting well against some fierce bowling that left them with a respectable 255 total for Whimple to chase.
You may also want to watch:
Whimple were also helped in their fielding by Sidbury players due to numbers which brought Scott Monro Higgs a great catch as he ran in much to the Sidbury teams dismay!
The bowling from Sidbury kept the Whimple batters in check with Esme Bagwell producing a wicket for just five runs from her two overs.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 8 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Other wickets fell to Alec Bagwell, Eli Moss and Daisy Grove. Josh Matthews also bagged a wicket whilst he also held no fewer than three catches.
However, Whimple were the winners with a final score of 282.
The teams meet again this Sunday and it is expected that it will be just as pleasant an occasion as the meeting last weekend.