Sidbury Under-8s enjoy weekend meetings with Budleigh and Ottery St Mary
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury Under-8s played in two close encounters over a beautifully sunny weekend.
First up, in a Friday night match at Budleigh skipper Imogen Bagwell won the toss, opted to bat and saw openers Scott Monro Higgs and Thomas Grove plunder 45 from the first four overs!
The other pairs maintained the run rate with Ellie Monro Higgs scoring three fours off the last over to leave Budleigh with a daunting task of scoring 358 to win!
Sidbury got the prefect start with Scott Monro Higgs clean bowling the Budleigh player with the very first delivery of the innings!
Two wickets were the taken by Charlie Turley and one a piece from Cleo Turley, Imogen Bagwell, Thomas Grove and Ellie Monro Higgs, that left the reply closing on 300 to leave Sidbury 57-run winners.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday another Sidbury team set off to play at Ottery where the home side won the toss and decided to bat first.
The Otters got off to a confident start, but the run rate began to slow and wickets were snapped up Charlie Turley, Ellie Wood, Eli Moss, Sam Hartland and Harry Wood.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 4 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 5 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 8 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 9 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 10 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
However, the bowling honours go to Joe Fox who claimed three wickets in the closing overs of the innings with Ottery finishing on 266.
The Sidbury reply was hit by a splendid spell from Ottery bowler Robert Boote who claimed three early wickets and also pouched a fine catch and Sidbury never recovered from this early setback.
Despite a fine stand by Eli Moss and Harry Wood who scored a number of fours, Sidbury were unable to repeat their success sat Budleigh and closed on 233 giving Ottery the win by 33 runs.
One thing most worthy of mention is the reception that Sidbury received at both Budleigh and Ottery and the fine spread put on form the players was superb, especially the home-made sausage rolls!