Sidford ladies on cloud nine
Having gained promotion to division 1, Sidford Ladies’ tennis team have been happy to win any points in their matches - the larger clubs of Torquay and Exeter Golf & Country Club dominate the division with Torquay’s A team having won the league for the past few years, writes Graham Baker.
This season was proving to be no different, with Torquay A having dropped only one point from their opening six matches, however, the Sidford team proved tough opposition and were ecstatic to pick up three points from them on their trip to the Riviera.
Both Sidford pairs lost easily to Torquay's first county pairing but the two Janes, Wakley and Chalk, managed to get a well-earned set from the second pair and were unlucky to lose the match in a championship tie-break.
Emma Fidge and Marilyn Barlow were determined to get at least one set from the second pair but, after playing some solid tennis, they triumphed 7-5, 6-2 to record a straight sets win.
The captain had promised a trip up in a hot air balloon floating over the seafront if the team did well but, unfortunately, by the end of the evening it was no longer on the cards!
You may also want to watch:
?After suffering defeats in their opening three matches the men’s team finally picked up some points with a 4 all draw and a 5-4 win against Exeter Golf & Country Club’s B and C teams, respectively.
The pairings of Paul Carter with Graham Baker and Will Boyd with Kevin Tratt each picked up a win in the draw with the B team while Paul and Graham were unbeaten in the win against the C team with the vital point to secure the victory coming from Will, who teamed up with his father Andrew.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 4 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 10 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
?The mixed team opened their season with a defeat to Tunnels but recovered to record a superb 7-3 victory against Woodbury; Marilyn Barlow with Graham Baker won both their game convincingly in straight sets with the other win coming from Emma Fidge with Paul Carter.
Anyone interested in playing league tennis will be welcomed into both the ladies and men’s squads, for further information please contact Paul Carter on 01395 567296.