Sidford Ladies’ team draw wth EGGC
Men climb the table
Sidford Tennis Club’s men’s team are gradually starting to climb the Division 2 table, following their latest two matches.
After losing at home to Tunnels, they travelled to Exeter for the return and recorded an excellent 6-3 victory. Once again, the win was built around an unbeaten performance from Will Boyd and Paul Carter with good support from team mates Mike Dommett and Kevin Tratt who won one of their games before narrowly losing their second in three sets.
Four days later, league leaders Sampford Peverell were the visitors to Sidford in what turned out to be a feisty encounter.
At the half way stage, Sidford found themselves 4-1 down, their solitary point coming from Will Boyd and Paul Carter, but fortunes turned in the second half, Paul and Will turning in a superb performance to beat Samford Peverell’s first pair in three sets, whilst Kevin Tratt with Graham Baker beat the second pair in straight sets to leave the match tied at 4-4.
You may also want to watch:
This was the first time Sampford Peverell had failed to record a win this season.
The two results leave Sidford in fourth place in division 2 with at least two matches in hand on all the teams above them.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 The more we work together the better it will be
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
The ladies team picked up a 5-5 draw in their away match with Exeter Golf & Country Club B.
The result was built on an unbeaten performance from team captain Marilyn Barlow with Emma Fidge, a display that saw Marilyn produce her usual display of power hitting, combined with delicate drop shots and angled volleys. The second pair of Jane Wakley with Jane Chalk were below their best, but still picked up a vital point to secure the draw which leaves the team nicely placed at the top of division 2.
l The club are very keen to welcome new members and offer regular club play most mornings during the week, as well as a club evening in Thursdays and a club afternoon on Saturdays.
For further details please contact the club chairman Paul Carter on (01395) 567296 or 07805 453337or visit the club’s updated website www.sidfordtennis.co.uk.