Sidford’s Bess set to be an England Lion
- Credit: Archant
A teenage cricketer from Sidford has been named in the England Lions squad.
Dom Bess is among the 13-man squad set to face South Africa A later this month, writes Clarissa Place.
The bowler was selected alongside Somerset County Cricket Club team mates Jack Leach and Jamie Overton for the four day fixture in Canterbury.
The former Sidmouth Cricket Club player made his debut for the county side last year taking six wickets in his first match. Matt Maynard, Somerset’s director of cricket, said: “I’m delighted for the three boys.
“They are outstanding cricketers who have all the attributes needed to go on and play for their country. I’m sure they will show the selectors exactly what they can do during this match against South Africa A and there is no doubt that they have bright futures ahead of them.”
You may also want to watch:
The match will take place at the Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence from June 21 to 24.
James Whitaker, the National Selector, said: “It’s good to see a number of players in this squad who have come through the England Under-19s environment, and started to make an impact in county cricket.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
“The Lions is another step up for them, and there is a balance with some more experienced players which we believe creates an exciting squad.”