Sidford Short Mat Bowls success for Betty Smith
- Credit: Archant
Sidford Short Mat Bowls club held its annual Handicap Singles competition, played over two successive Saturdays.
The eventual winner was Betty Smith who received a standing ovation from members present.
Betty is a founder member of 26 years standing and the club’s oldest member. Playing off a plus two handicap, she beat all her opponents over the five rounds of highly competitive singles play.
Leading up to the final, Betty won a series of games against zero handicap players - Chris Faulknall, Marian Dunford and Eric Leonard.
In the final she was the ‘underdog’ once again when up against Carol Beckett, who won the Club Open Singles in 2014.
You may also want to watch:
However, Betty built steadily on her handicap advantage and once again prevailed by forcing Carol to concede after seven ends when she had an unassailable 9-4 lead ,
Betty played with immense skill and concentration and, to paraphrase Shakepeare’s Henry V at Agincourt, those present will: “Remember the feats she did that day”.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford