Sidmoutbh swimmers set for 4k beach swim challenge
Swimmers from across the county are being encouraged to take up the challenge of a 4km swim for two local charities.
On Sunday, June 16, an anticipated 100 swimmers will take part in a swim from the beach at Sidmouth to Ladram Bay.
The event is being organised by Sidmouth Lifeboat and the Chestnut Appeal for Prostate Cancer
Kate Jackson is an experienced open water swimmer and is part of a three-person relay team, the ‘East Devon Babes’, attempting to swim the English Channel in July of this year.
Jackson said: “We train in the sea all year round at Sidmouth and felt that we wanted to raise both awareness and sponsorship for the lifeboat based there.”
You may also want to watch:
The Sidmouth to Ladram Bay swim was dreamt up by Jackson as a great way to get others involved in swimming and fundraising!
She said: “We are very pleased that David Squires and the Chestnut Appeal have agreed to partner us for this event. We have swum with them before and they are always well organised and great fun! We hope to bring some of that spirit to Sidmouth.”
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 10 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
David Squires from the Chestnut Appeal said: “We are delighted to have been asked by Kate and Rachel to join this very exciting event. This section of the Devon coastline makes a stunning backdrop to the swim and we hope that local swimmers will take up the challenge.”
The swim will be fully supported by members of the local Lifeboat crew as well as a team from Event Water Safety.
Registration is £30 which will include; full safety cover an event t-shirt and swim cap, a medal on completion of the swim and an end of swim snack.
Participants are asked to as much money as they can through sponsorship for the two charities.
To find out more feel free to get in touch with David Squires at the Chestnut Appeal on 01752 792736 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org