Sidmouth 2nds bank 20 points in comfortable win over Paignton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth II chalked up a 74–run win over Paignton II to stay top of the Francis Clark Devon League 2nd XI Premier Division table.
Skipper Nick Gingell won the toss and opted to bat, but things did not go according to plan as both Matt Hewer and Harvey Sargent were returned to the pavilion before Matt Cooke (30), Gingell (38) and Saj Patidar (29) all got themselves set only to have their innings ended prematurely. At the halfway stage of the innings the home side were wobbling at 133-6.
However, this years Sidmouth 2nds have strength in depth down the batting order and the seventh wicket realised a further 76 runs as Will Gater stroked his way to a 450-ball knock of 53 and Nick Mansfield batted his way to an accomplished 47-ball 51.The tail continued to wag to a close of 266 which was probably slightly above par on another superb Sidmouth surface.
The Paignton reply was boosted by some charitable catching with the slip area a fruitful zone for the visitors as a number of chances went begging!
The ground fielding was a different matter and some smart stops, slick backing up and good all round in-field discipline restricted the visitors flow of runs.
You may also want to watch:
The introduction of spin shifted the momentum in Sidmouth’s favour and produced two wickets apiece for Cooke and Miles Dalton.
Paignton were 166-6 with four overs remaining.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
Two good boundary catches from Dec Lines gave Fionn Wardrop a couple of wickets and a Harvey Sargent double wicket maiden, aided by two accomplished stumpings by Matt Hewer left the reply 192 all out to give Sidmouth a 20-point haul.