Sidmouth 2nds closing in on another title after toppling Torquay
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 2nds are now just 46 points away from landing yet another Tolchards Devon League 2nd XI Premier Division title after their latest success, a six wicket win over Torquay in a game played at Woodbury CC owing to the Fortfield being turned over to the Sidmouth Folk Week festivities.
Torquay won the toss and opted to bat, but struggled all afternoon against some tight Sidmouth bowling.
Toby Seldon and Fionn Wardrop took the new ball and Seldon struck to send a Torquay opener back without scoring. An Isaac Thomas catch helped Seldon to claim a second wicket with the score on 18. The third wicket rallied and got the total to 68 before a second Thomas catch, this time off the bowling of Charlie Dibble, ended the partnership. Wickets then fell at regular intervals and run scoring became very difficult with Torquay ending their 435 overs with the bat on 112-7.
Luke Raistrick picked up three wickets to finish with the top figures (3-29 from nine overs). Toby Seldon’s return was 2-12 from nine and there were single wickets for Charlie Dibble and Wes Holmes.
Thomas Moore and Isaac Thomas launched the Sidmouth reply, but were parted with 18 on the board with Moore bowled for three. Anthony Griffiths joined Thomas and they took the reply to 58 when Griffiths was run out for 21.
You may also want to watch:
Thomas was the third wicket to fall, but not before he had top scored with 45, scoring seven fours along the way. Just one more wicket was lost - that of Nick Mansfield, trapped leg before wicket for five - before Daley Holmes (21no) and Fionn Wardrop (5no) saw Sidmouth to a comfortable win inside 26 overs.
This Saturday, the 2nd XI will get an awful lot closer to that next title with a home victory over Exmouth 2nds.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help