Sidmouth 2nds hit top spot at halfway point of the Francis Clark League Devon League season
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth II hit top spot in the 2nd XI Premier Division after banking 21 points from a Fortfield meeting with North Devon.
Rain reduced then match to one of 37 overs per side and the all-important toss went the way of Sidmouth and resulted in 10-man North Devon batting first.
Rain struck with the visitors 57-3 after 23 overs.
When play resumed it was the Dibble father and son combination, Charlie (3-16) and Anthony (3-27), who took control for Sidmouth, taking three wickets each to reduce the visitor’s to 62-6.
Charlie also played a large part in helping Harvey Sargent to a wicket as he took a fine one-handed diving catch at short third man to see off North Devon’s captain, Scott Amos.
You may also want to watch:
The visitor’s tail wagged sufficiently for them to limp to a close of 120 with one of the late wickets a splendid catch off his own bowling by Saj Patidar.
Patidar then led the reply with a hard-hitting 44 from just 24 deliveries as he and Harvey Sergent (30) put on 63 for the first wicket.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
When Patidar departed Sargent was joined by Nick Mansfield (28) and the pair saw the side to three figures before both fell in quick succession.
It was Matt Hewer and Dec Lines who then saw the side to a comfortable seven wicket victory.
On Saturday the 2nd XI travel to Bovey Tracey to begin the second half of their league campaign.