Sidmouth 2nds land handsome clean sheet success at Bideford
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 2nd XV travelled to Bideford where they chalked up a 40-0 success to stay top of the Merit Table.
Injuries and unavailability left the team travelling with 16, but the team that played in North Devon, while not playing to their full potential, were still too good for the home team.
The opening score came from left winger Chris Higgs, who crossed the home whitewash following a powerful scrum by the Sidmouth forwards and good handing by the backs. The second try followed soon after when, after three quick phases, second row Jason Stephens burst through a gap and Jake Watts knocked over the conversion and Sidmouth led 12-0.
Bideford hit back, but could not break down a solid visiting defence and it was not long before Sidmouth were showing just how to turn territorial advantage and possession into points as fly half Jake Watts bundled his way over and he got up to tuck away a second conversion and the lead was 19-0.
Then, just after Higgs was well tackled only metres from scoring a second try on his return to the team, a fourth try was duly scored when, from another powerful scrum from the men in green, number eight Dan Ledger went over and another Watts conversion made it 26-0.
You may also want to watch:
A short spell of play during which the scrums went uncontested - but Sidmouth sportingly allowed Bideford to remain with 15 players - came to an end with the next try with Dan Rugg, playing in the unfamiliar role of outside centre, sprinted home from 25-metres and Watts duly slotted his fourth conversion to complete the first half scoring and see Sidmouth into the break with a 33 point advantage. Just before the interval flanker Carl Burrow was the recipient of a punch that saw the Bideford number two red carded. The unfortunate Burrow was later taken to hospital for stitched in the wound!
The second half of the contest proved to be a shortened affair with the referee picking up an injury and being unable to continue and, with no replacement available, time was called.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
However, enough second half action was played for Sidmouth to score one more try with Adam Squance scoring in the corner to round off the scoring.