Sidmouth 2nds see title hopes slip as Exeter II do the double
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth II saw their 2nd XI Premier Division title aspirations dealt a serious blow as they succumbed to Exeter II for the second time this season, beaten by four wickets in a rain-affected County Ground contest.
Batting first Sidmouth lost wickets steadily throughout their innings, closing on 197. The only batsmen to defy the Exeter bowlers were Saj Patidar, who continued his good recent run of form in making 59, and Dan Powell who opened and made an accomplished 46.
Several batsmen will have been unhappy in gifting Exeter soft wickets and it took a ninth wicket partnership of 32 between Patidar and Fionn Wardrop (20) to give the score a measure of respectability, albeit one that was 30 to 40 short of a competitive total.
The Sidmouth frustration continued after tea when a good start, wickets for Harrison Jones and Dom Bess leaving Exeter at four runs for two wickets, was followed by the onset of drizzle. Eight overs were lost during two stoppages and Exeter found themselves chasing a revised target of 158. With a very wet ball to contend with Sidmouth could not stop Exeter coasting to victory through runs from Miles Lenygon, Alec Bosomworth and Sam Reddick.
The highlights of Sidmouth’s spell in the field were supplied by Dan Powell who took an exceptional leg side catch to dismiss Lenygon from the bowling of Miles Dalton and bettered this with a leg side stumping to shift Alec Bosomworth from the bowling of Harrison Jones.
You may also want to watch:
It’s Plymouth II away on Saturday followed by the last home game of the season seven days later with the visit of Bovey Tracy II before the curtain comes down on the season at Chudleigh on August 31.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution