Sidmouth 2nds suffer weather woe in Bovey Tracey II defeat
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 2nds first experience of the new league rain rules was an unhappy one as, after several rain interruptions, their strong target of 239 was reduced to a far more achievable 142 from 25 overs.
While the new league rules take account of run rate they don’t factor in wickets (as Duckworth/Lewis do) which gives a significant advantage to the side batting second.
Sidmouth’s bowlers, with Alistair Bartlett the exception, and fielders struggled to contend with the wet ball and were run ragged by the third wicket pairing for Bovey Tracey II who added an unbroken stand of 70 to win the match.
Earlier in the day Sidmouth had produced a good batting performance, overcoming several rain interruptions and the loss of three overs to post a decent total. At 15-3 after five overs this looked unlikely, but Sidmouth were rescued by captain Saj Patidar who made 52 at a run-a-ball and Dec Lines who made a responsible 57.
Their partnership set a good platform for accelerated runs down the order with impetus coming first from Nick Gingell (18), then Fionn Wardrop (35) before a fine innings of 48 from 37 balls by Nick Mansfield took Sidmouth’s total up to 238-9 from 42 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Under normal circumstances this would have been a stiff target, but the loss of a further 17 overs, and the corresponding reduction in the target, shifted the goalposts decisively in Bovey’s favour.
The six points Sidmouth took from the game sees the side remain top of the 2nd XI top flight table and tomorrow they reach the halfway mark of the league season with a Fortfield meeting with Chudleigh II.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 9 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17