Sidmouth 2nds wrap up fourth title in five years with win at Plympton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 2nds duly wrapped up their fourth Devon League 2nd XI Premier Division title in five years – and their 10th since 2004, when they won by four wickets in a low scoring affair at Plympton.
The home side were invited to bat first and were bundled out for 105 in 44.3 overs.
All but one of the six Sidmouth bowlers took at least one wicket – mind you, the one bowler who did not get a wicket did return arguably the finest figures! Fionn Wardrop, took the new ball and sent down a full shift of nine overs, four of which were maidens and just seven runs were scored off his bowling!
Wesley Holmes, with 3-36 from nine overs, was the to wicket taker and there were two wickets each for Charlie Dibble (2-13 in nine), Saj Patidar (2-11 in 2.3) and Luke Raistrick (2-22 in six) while the other wicket was taken by Toby Seldon, who shared the new ball duties with Wardrop and returned the miserly figures of 1-14 from what was ultimately a full shift of nine overs.
The Sidmouth run chase suffered two early blows with both openers, Isaac Thomas and Jash Patidar having their stumps knocked over with out a run between them. Nick Mansfield was not at the wicket for long either, he was out for two, but Anthony Dibble was not to be moved and he went on to score an unbeaten 59 and, with a knock of 24 in support from Saj Patidar, Sidmouth eased home to record a four wicket win with two balls remaining of the 44th over.
You may also want to watch:
Next season the league switches to the all-through format and most of the Sidmouth opposition are now known.
They will play in what will be known as the new C Division East where they will come up across the two teams finishing second and third to them in the 2nd XI Premier Division this season (currently Bovey Tracey and Exmouth), and the 1st XI teams from Ottery St Mary (as the basement side in the B Division 1st XI this year) together with Alphington, Feniton, Whimple, Clyst Hydon, Kilmington and Braunton.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients