Sidmouth advance in the Mail on Sunday competition.
Sidmouth advanced into the 5th round of the national Mail on Sunday competition last Sunday after a 3-2 win over close neighbours East Devon, writes Charlie Jarvis.
First on course for Sidmouth was Mark Thomas and he gave the team the perfect start beating twice Devon Amateur champion Paul Newcombe. Newcombe never recovered from losing the first five holes and finally succumbed three-and-two.
Duncan Taylor won the second match against former Sidmouth member, Bob Horton by the same score leaving Sidmouth just needing to win one of the remaining three matches to progress into the next round.
Fittingly it was club captain David Pepperell who sealed victory as he bagged a three-and-two success over Jim Colvin.
The final Sidmouth players out struggled from the start.
You may also want to watch:
Jonathan Lee lost his match to East Devon’s mixed golf champion Bruce Chapman, whilst Neil Holland’s lack of stamina brought on by his new weight watchers diet meant he was thoroughly beaten by another former Sidmouth player, the very sharply dressed Mark Lavers.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival