Sidmouth Aylmer Cup joy for Richard Powell
- Credit: Archant
The Aylmer Cup, presented in 1909, by the then club captain, CC Aylmer, was played for on the first Saturday of December, writes Hugh Dorliac.
The competition took place in damp, but eminently playable conditions. Stuart Ruffle was an early leader on par 66, but this year’s winner, also with a score of 66, but winning on countback, was last year’s club captain Richard Powell. Will Hastie came a close third on 67.
The final Monday stableford of November was won by new boy Mike Shepherd with a solid 41 points, earning him a handicap reduction of one stroke.
Also improving his handicap by one to 11, was second placed Lester Willmington with 39 points.
One point behind was Neil Holland on 38. This week the Monday stableford was won by Nick Gingell on 39 points, with Will Hastie on 37 and Richard Powell on 36.
You may also want to watch:
Friday’s stableford competition was quite tough going and sticky underfoot after the overnight rain, but Bob Andrews, playing early found form and recorded a strong 37 points to take first place. Peter Abrahams was second with 33 and John Billingsley came a distant third with 29.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 8 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge