Sidmouth B continue to march on in ‘best season for many a year’
- Credit: Archant
Saturday afternoon saw the second leg of the Andy Harrison Trophy played against Honiton Golf Club by the Sidmouth B team, writes John Barnard.
Unbeaten all year, and having achieved a 3-3 result away at Honiton, the team went into the fixture in a confident mood.
Captain Colin Macklin knew he had picked a strong team and put himself off first with Lee Wenham and they won with an excellent five-and-four result.
Next up was Trevor Kerridge and Don Cooper and they also won convincingly, four-and-three.
It got even better in the third match which was won by Roger Freer and Guy Davies who achieved another five-and-four victory. This meant that a half point from any of the next three matches would be enough to secure the trophy and sure enough, Bob Welsman and Club Vice Captain Ray Gunston achieved a one hole victory to secure the trophy for Sidmouth.
You may also want to watch:
It slipped away a little after that with Lester Willmington and Brian Leech losing and Steve Channing and Simon Knowles halving their match but this still meant a four-and-a-half to one-and-a half victory on the day and over the match a seventh-and-a-half to four-and-a-half overall victory to Sidmouth.
Many congratulations to captain Colin and his team, sponsored this year by Acanthus Press and East Devon Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Clinic Ltd whose support has been invaluable.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
A great result in what is becoming one of the best seasons ever enjoyed by the Sidmouth B team.