Sidmouth B go down just before the lights go out!
Sidmouth Ladies’ B team were beaten by visiting Victoria Park in a close encounter, writes Kate Truman.
It was a contest that went the distance with the final point recorded just before the lights had to be switched off!
Having moved up a division in the Winter League, and with lots of new teams on the circuit, the B team were expecting to come up against a higher level of tennis and that proved to be the case!
Victoria Park had fielded two very strong teams and Sidmouth’s second pairing of Ensall and Dolling (who was nursing a back injury) couldn’t quite find the standard required to make an impression and went down 3-6, 0-6, and 2-6, 0-6.
However, Maynard and Truman fared better.
You may also want to watch:
They lost their first rubber 5-7, 2-6, but their game improved as the night went on and they showed great tenacity to win the second rubber in a nail-biting 7-6, 7-6 finish, just a few minutes before the club’s floodlights had to be switched off!
The visitors won the game 6-2, but it was a most enjoyable night’s tennis with the ladies relishing the challenge of tougher competition.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 4 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 5 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 8 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out