Sidmouth B go down just before the lights go out!
Sidmouth Ladies’ B team were beaten by visiting Victoria Park in a close encounter, writes Kate Truman.
It was a contest that went the distance with the final point recorded just before the lights had to be switched off!
Having moved up a division in the Winter League, and with lots of new teams on the circuit, the B team were expecting to come up against a higher level of tennis and that proved to be the case!
Victoria Park had fielded two very strong teams and Sidmouth’s second pairing of Ensall and Dolling (who was nursing a back injury) couldn’t quite find the standard required to make an impression and went down 3-6, 0-6, and 2-6, 0-6.
However, Maynard and Truman fared better.
You may also want to watch:
They lost their first rubber 5-7, 2-6, but their game improved as the night went on and they showed great tenacity to win the second rubber in a nail-biting 7-6, 7-6 finish, just a few minutes before the club’s floodlights had to be switched off!
The visitors won the game 6-2, but it was a most enjoyable night’s tennis with the ladies relishing the challenge of tougher competition.
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 10 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections