Sidmouth B team land comfortable win over visiting Dawlish Warren
- Credit: Archant
Dawlish Warren were the latest team to visit Sidmouth for a team fixture, writes John Barnard.
First out was captain Colin Macklin with long time friend, Bob Welsman, normally a steady reliable partnership.
However, after winning the first the visitors powered on to win three-and-two.
Next up was Craig Melluish and Jim Anderton, on paper this looked a very strong team, and so it proved as they crushed their opponents by seven-and-five. Not quite a dog licence (seven-and-six for those of you old enough to remember) but a commanding victory none the less!
Hugh Dorliac and Simon Emerson then won three-and-two and were followed by father and son combination, Lester and Rob Willmington who won their match six-and-four.
You may also want to watch:
As the rugby season has finished chairman of Sidmouth RFC, Lester, can concentrate on his golf for the summer.
Unfortunately, one of the Warren players failed to arrive so Mike Dommet and Pete Northcott played a single Warren player.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
To give him a ‘dog’s chance’, they played off scratch and he almost took his chance, but the Sidmouth pair prevailed, winning by one. To complete a 5-1 comprehensive victory, Brain Leach and Colin Mitchell completed the wins with a good five-and-four success.
A great day was finished with another superb Sidmouth Golf Club meal prepared by head chef Kerry and team. You must come up and try her great food some time.
The day was finally over after some of captain’s Mack’s subtle jokes (not for the faint hearted!).