Sidmouth bet better of weather to enjoy visit of Beaufort Ebbw Vale
- Credit: Archant
Saturday morning saw sun shining down on Sidmouth Bowls Club and the steward was hard at work putting out all the equipment for that afternoon’s game against the men from Beaufort Ebbw Vale - a Welsh touring team, writes Susie Bonnell.
Sadly, that sunny start was not to last and, just prior to the tourists’ arrival, the heavens opened and the rinks flooded preventing any prospect of play.
After a few bevvies in the bar it was decided to play the game indoors.
With only three rinks available, several Sidmouth bowlers went home to allow our visitors to have full use of the rinks over two sessions.
Sidmouth’s John Mason and Mick Cox relieved the tea ladies of their duties, whilst Ron Cook manned the bar when the barmen took to the rinks.
You may also want to watch:
It was quite a challenge to most who had been bowling on the much slower outdoor greens, however, some players impressed by adjusting pretty quickly.
The most important point was our visitors thoroughly enjoyed themselves, making full use of the bar and experiencing fine Sidmouth camaraderie despite the vagaries of the weather.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon