Sidmouth bet better of weather to enjoy visit of Beaufort Ebbw Vale
- Credit: Archant
Saturday morning saw sun shining down on Sidmouth Bowls Club and the steward was hard at work putting out all the equipment for that afternoon’s game against the men from Beaufort Ebbw Vale - a Welsh touring team, writes Susie Bonnell.
Sadly, that sunny start was not to last and, just prior to the tourists’ arrival, the heavens opened and the rinks flooded preventing any prospect of play.
After a few bevvies in the bar it was decided to play the game indoors.
With only three rinks available, several Sidmouth bowlers went home to allow our visitors to have full use of the rinks over two sessions.
Sidmouth’s John Mason and Mick Cox relieved the tea ladies of their duties, whilst Ron Cook manned the bar when the barmen took to the rinks.
You may also want to watch:
It was quite a challenge to most who had been bowling on the much slower outdoor greens, however, some players impressed by adjusting pretty quickly.
The most important point was our visitors thoroughly enjoyed themselves, making full use of the bar and experiencing fine Sidmouth camaraderie despite the vagaries of the weather.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 5 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 Sad loss at Beer Albion