Sidmouth Bowering Salver win for Paul Hitchcock
- Credit: Archant
It was a big day for Sidmouth Golf Club last Thursday, writes John Barnard.
Local member Bob Webber is captain of the Devon Captains, the association that all Devon golf club captains become a member of due to their captaincy.
It was a great honour for Bob to be chosen as the 2017 captain and one of the perks is that he gets to host Captain’s Day at his own course.
Almost 100 golfers played on a fairly miserable September day, which was a bit of a disappointment.
The course was very wet, but the greens staff had worked really hard to present the course at its best.
You may also want to watch:
Some visiting golfers struggle a little at Sidmouth. It is not easy to hold the fairways and the rough was wet and lush, so it was difficult to be accurate with approaches to small greens.
Bob and his wife Jenny were waiting for all the golfers on the temporary green on the 10th with liquid sustenance and much-welcomed pasties and sausage rolls.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
In the evening, a packed clubhouse enjoyed the presentation of many prizes and trophies. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the overall winner was local member Paul Hitchcock with a convincing 39 points and he won the Bowering Salver for the best golfer on the day.
It was great evening to top a really successful day.
Thank you, Bob, and we hope you enjoy the rest of your year of office.