Sidmouth bowlers ease into new outdoor season
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Bowling Club 2014 outdoor season got under way last Wednesday, writes Ron Cook.
The traditional first wood of the season was bowled this year by the vice chairman of Sidmouth Town council, Mr Geoff Turner.
Welcomed by lady captain Val Newnham and men’s captain John Greenaway, Geoff demonstrated an aptitude for bowling with a skilful draw to the jack!
Blessed with fine weather, there followed a spider, in which all players cast a bowl to a jack in the middle of the green. The owner of the bowl nearest the jack and so winning a bottle of champagne was Brian Lamb.
A total of 60 players then played a drive of three games each of six ends with a winning team from each of the two greens in play being Zena Johnson, Tony Holland Peter Bloomfield and John Greenaway, Eileen Hewett Rob Hargraves.
You may also want to watch:
Our first visitors of the year Chardstock brought four rinks of triples the following day providing strong opposition running out winners by three shots overall. The winning team for Sidmouth were Ron Denning, Ed Backhouse and Brian Smith.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend