Sidmouth bowlers edged out by Welsh party - but great fun is had by all - again!
- Credit: Archant
It’s been an incredibly busy season for Sidmouth Bowling Club, with a total of 24 touring teams coming to play at the club during the past few months, writes Susie Bonnell.
It is no surprise that bowlers want to come to enjoy a great day of bowls on our lovely rinks and have a gentle stroll around the town - and it must be good for the lucky shopkeepers who get to offer their wares to the tourists.
The past week saw a visit by a large party from the Wales and Monmouth ladies’ touring team.
It was a stretch to find 28 lady players for the seven rinks of bowlers, with a few last minute hiccups (illness and unforeseen emergencies), Sidmouth ladies had to ask three of their men to play!
The ladies were very grateful to have Ray Tallent, Brian Newell and Ken Robertson step up to the plate for the afternoon (and they did not even have to wear a club skirt).
You may also want to watch:
The touring ladies had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon - particularly as they had an overall win on the day, with the final score 134-125 in their favour.
The winning rink for Sidmouth was fielded by skip, Zena Johnson, and her team, Wendy Cox, Ray Tallent and Anita Mason.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable