Sidmouth bowlers enjoy three-rink success against visiting Bovey Tracey
- Credit: Archant
The festive celebrations have left us with precious little action to report about, writes Carol Smith.
However, there was one friendly match and that was the one played on the final Friday of 2017 when a team from Bovey Tracey travelled through wind and rain to play against us at Sidmouth.
A great afternoon was had by all and it was the home bowlers who emerged with the victory as wins on all three rinks led to an overall 65-43 shot success.
Following the match there was a toast made to both clubs with all concerned hoping to enjoy a successful, and, most of all, healthy 2018.
Bovey Tracey, like many outdoor Devon clubs do not have a indoor venue close enough to play in the winter. So what many do is to have just away fixtures with clubs like ours so as to keep their hand in and stay in touch with friends during the winter months.
You may also want to watch:
At the last count, there were 103 affiliated clubs in terms of outdoor bowling in Devon. These are divided into eight sections with Sidmouth being part of section three (East Devon) and there are nine other clubs in the section. Some of the other sections have 15 or more clubs - such is the size of the county of Devon!
With regard to indoor bowling, it is a very different story for there are only 15 indoor clubs in the whole county, and we are very fortunate to have eight of them within a 15-mile radius of Exeter.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
Well folks, that’s it for this week and all that remains is for me to wish you all a very Healthy and Happy New Year and what about a new hobby for the new year?
Bowls really is great fun and keeps you flexible and offers a high degree of social interaction with the opportunity to make many new friendships.
If you would like to become involved in the sport - and join a wonderful friendly group of folk - then why not pick up the phone and call 07958 938031 to speak to one of our coaches.