Sidmouth bowlers launch new outdoor season
- Credit: Archant
The 2016 Sidmouth Bowling club opening drive, complete with fifty six players, got off to a bright, somewhat chilly start on the final Saturday of Saturday, writes Bert Hague.
Ian McKenzie-Edwards, vice chairman of Sidmouth town council bowled the first wood. He was ably assisted by ladies’ captain Suzie Bonnell and men’s captain John Mason.
The green, as we had come to expect was in excellent condition thanks to our green keepers, Barry and Noel, who between them have 47 years experience in keeping them so pristine.
During the course of the afternoon, there was much hilarity concerning the underestimation of how far a bowl will travel on grass, as opposed to being on a green carpet.
The winners of the afternoon game were Lynda Hargrave, Mary Meadows, Norman Brimson and Dennis Moore. The Spider contest, where all the players spread out around the green and bowl at the jack in the centre, at a given signal, was won by our ex president Len Catford.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, I am sure that the extra physical effort will result in some sore shoulders and back muscles!
The remedies range from, a hot bath, through to a cortisone injection. Happy bowling to all members and remember, ‘it is only a game’.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 6 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown