Sidmouth bowlers say a fond farewell to a much loved Beryl Sparkes
- Credit: Archant
The second Friday of May saw a large turnout of Sidmouth Bowls Club members for the funeral of the much loved and highly respected Beryl Sparkes who passed away at the grand old age of 99, writes Carol Smith.
Beryl joined Sidmouth Bowls Club in 1979 and ladies indoor captain for 1985/86 outdoor season.
She was also the ladies indoor secretary until 1992. During the 1980s Beryl was awarded her County Indoor Badge.
For many years Beryl gave many hours of her time coaching and organising coaching sessions for new bowlers.
Beryl was the first lady to sit on the executive committee as a trustee and was our first lady executive president. She was also made a club life member.
You may also want to watch:
That's quite a legacy for someone so small in stature, but so very large in achievements. Beryl, we all salute you and shall miss you so very, very much.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!