Sidmouth bowlers unable to show Swindon the best of the outdoor rinks because of the rain!
- Credit: Archant
Well what has gone wrong with the weather for, yet again, we were all set to have an afternoon of good sport and entertainment with a touring team from Swindon, but the elements did their worst, writes Susie Bonnell.
The touring side arrived by coach at 10.30am ready to enjoy all that Sidmouth has to offer, dine out, and then pitch up at the bowling club to contest an afternoon of bowls on our super outdoor rinks.
Sadly, from 11am onwards, the heavens opened and the rain did not really cease all day long!
Swindon had brought along their mascot - a bear called Weena – which, despite having her own tailor made set of waterproofs, did not get a chance to sit outside!
Captains of the day - Babs Slater of Swindon and Susie Bonnell for Sidmouth - had made a contingency plan which swung into place when rain did not desist. Sidmouth players went home to dry off and the Swindon players played on our three indoor rinks - staying dry, warm and having a great game of bowls.
You may also want to watch:
It was a great shame the Sidmouth players could not show what great hosts they are, but we hope Swindon will return next year and bring better weather.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support