Sidmouth bowlers win annual meeting with Clarence of Weston-super-Mare
- Credit: Archant
Friday saw the annual meeting with Clarence Bowling Club of Weston-super-Mare. When Sidmouth travelled to Weston for the match last year, the weather was absolutely beautiful.
However, that was not the case for the 2019 meeting in Sidmouth!
That said, 'hardy' bowlers do not let gale-force winds and torrential rain deter them.
The two teams managed to play their way through 10 ends before the heavens opened.
It was at tea time that the serious rain arrived and it meant for a longer than usual tea break, but play resumed, albeit with players getting a little wet, but the contest was completed over 21 ends with a feature being that no fewer than 10 rinks were used for play! With such a full green it means as many as 80 players in action! As for the score, well, Sidmouth clocked up 209 shots while the visitors recorded a score of 160.
You may also want to watch:
The top home rink was the one of Liz Boyle, Norman Brimson, Jill Mison and skip John Mason, who won 34-5.
Now, all at Sidmouth look forward to the 2020 meeting in Weston-super-Mare.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 8 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 9 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start