Sidmouth Bowls Club - a look back at happier times
- Credit: Archant
There was meant to have been a grand opening ceremony last Thursday (April 23) to launch another new outdoor campaign at Sidmouth Bowls Club, writes Carol Smith.
Alas, in light of the on-going Coronavirus pandemic, the launch of the 2020 season was not to be – for now – and so I thought it would be good idea to look back at the last time we enjoyed such an occasion and that was 12 months ago when we said hello to the 2019 outdoor term.
We were treated to a very special day, one made all the happier for all as the weather was simply gorgeous – rather akin to how it has been of late!
Our greens were running beautifully after all the hard work our green keeper Barry and his team had put in during the Autumn and Spring.
Our new club flag, kindly donated by WBW Solicitors, was hoisted for the first time.
You may also want to watch:
As is the tradition, the Sidmouth Town Council chairman was in attendance to deliver the first wood of the 2019 outdoor term.
There was certainly plenty of laughter and general socialising as friendships were renewed and there is little doubt that I speak for all bowlers when I say they are all elements we are currently missing!
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
But, hey ho! In time, as that dear song goes, ‘we’ll meet again’...
Unfortunately, though, as things stand, we do not know the answer to that particular conundrum as to when ‘again’ is going to be!
I am sure we would all like to think it would be sometime this summer of 2020, though, as each day passes that hope does seem rather forlorn!
With time on my hands it gave me the opportunity to wade my way through old photographs of happy bowling days gone by. I found some that brought back wonderful memories of social gatherings at the club and hope they provide some cheer for you all as you, like I, recall happier times. We simply must remain positive that we will be back to ‘normal’ life just as soon as this terrible virus is despatched.
Back to the selection of photographs. I wonder how man of the names you can recall? Sadly, a number of them are no longer with us, but I remember them all. Stay safe everyone and may we all be bowling together again soon.