Sidmouth Bowls Club Finals glory for Ken Wheeler
- Credit: Archant
The highlight of the past week at Sidmouth Bowls Club has been the staging of the 2015 club finals, writes Ron Mason.
The finals are the culmination of four months of knock-out bowling. In all there were 21 disciplines contested across the three days of finals action.
It was pleasing to see that no fewer than 43 different individuals took part in the twenty-one finals making it a real club event.
These included members who are relatively new bowlers, and others who are new to the club, such as Ken Wheeler, who joined us only recently and soon made his mark by winning the club championship!
Congratulations to Ken. Special congratulations also to club stalwarts Jean and Norman Brimson who finally won the Nominated Mixed Pairs competition in their sixth final of this competition.
You may also want to watch:
Weather conditions differed on each day with beautiful warm and dry conditions on day one through to a breezy day following heavy overnight rain for the final day.
Top honours went to Jill Bishop (Ladies Champion), Ron Cook (Men’s Champion) and Ken Wheeler (Club Champion).
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 5 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 8 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
The last match to finish ended with an extra end having to be played in the Men’s Pairs to determine the winners; a really exciting finish to the whole event.
Thanks are owed to the competition secretaries Ann Capon and John Chew for their hard work and all the spectators who came to support the bowlers over all thre days. Well done, to everyone involved.