Sidmouth Bowls Club Open Day proves to be a hugely successful one!
- Credit: Archant
What a day the Sidmouth Bowling Club Open Day proved to be, writes Susie Bonnell.
We promised a warm welcome, but it turned out to be a glorious day - one of the best we’ve seen for a long time.
Open Days are always an unknown quantity, but this year we were delighted to see so many people arrive to try their hand at the fine sport of bowling - despite playing on the indoor rinks on this sunny day.
There was much laughter and camaraderie with the coaches working very hard to ensure everyone had a good hand at trying out their bowling skills.
Of course it was an opportunity for a handful of the visitors to decide bowling was not for them - but Sidmouth Bowling Club now have 24 people signed up for their four free coaching sessions and we hope that they will, like so many of us, get hooked on the game!
You may also want to watch:
Well done and thank you to all the helpers - coaches Jill Bishop, Jenny Fricker, Mary Smith, Des Bridgeman, Norman Brimson and Mike Reader; thanks to Eileen Hewett, Anita Mason and Mary Turner for keeping everyone supplied with tea and biscuits; thanks to our chairman, Peter Mison, Chas Coates and Rob Wheaton for helping wherever needed and to our wonderful President, Len Catford, for all his help and support.
A special thank you to all the Sidmouth Library staff who helped facilitate a week-long display for the Bowling Club.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 4 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
A final word - even if you missed the Open Day, it’s never too late to try your hand at bowls.
Call in to the Clubhouse when passing or telephone 07958 938 031 to arrange a trial session with one of our coaches.
Whatever the weather, you will receive a very warm welcome.