Sidmouth CC chairman’s chat
- Credit: Archant
Here’s our weekly chat about all things Sidmouth CC with chairman Fionn Wardrop.
First up this week we asked for his take on the ‘surprise’ defeat for the 1st XI at home to Heathcoat – a reversal that ended the club’s three senior sides’ 100 per cent winning start to the Tolchards Devon League campaign.
Fionn replied: “The nature of the 1st team’s loss was a surprise as we barely gave Heathcoat a game. The fact that we didn’t bat well, however, was less surprising as we have started poorly in that regard. In three games only Elliot Rice has made a 50 so far, so there is considerable room for improvement.”
We then turned our attention to the 2nd XI, who are flying at the start of their life in the all-through league and they top the early season C Division East table which sees them meting a number of local 1st XI teams for the first time in league action.
Fionn says: “This new cricket is more of a challenge and the 2nds have done well to win their first three games. The standard is a little higher and our opposition have overseas players. Each team we have played has had better individuals than we have been used to encountering. For example, last Saturday, Alphington had a strong top five in their batting line-up, the best we have faced so far and yet, three games in, they have yet to win a match, which underlines the strength of the division.”
You may also want to watch:
Next up, we asked if all had gone well last Sunday, when the club once again hosted the Devon side in their 50-over match against Wiltshire.
Fionn said: “The whole day went very well. As usual, the Fortfield wicket was excellent – with all of that down to the excellent hard work – and skill – of our very own Colin Whitehall, which enabled a good and high scoring contest. Scott Barlow bowled particularly well, so that was great to see from a Sidmouth perspective.”
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
Finally, we could not help but ask about the Dom Bess England call-up and the fact he might just be in action at Lord’s over the next few days.
Fionn said: “I know that there is a large Sidmouth contingent travelling to Lord’s to support Dom Bess and everyone at the club is really excited for him.
“Hopefully, he will make a great start with England and have a brilliant time.”