Sidmouth CC duo in Devon Lions in Devon Lions squad
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sidmouth duo Rory Thomas and Tom Simmonds are included in the Devon Lions squad for this Sunday’s (June 29) County Ground 50-over friendly against Gloucestershire Academy.
The game was originally fixture as a two-day match, but cut back to a single day at Gloucestershire's request. Weight of games and the demands on players were behind the request.
Devon Lions is a development programme run by the county club to prepare emerging cricketers for Minor Counties cricket.
Exeter leg-spinner Ed Middleton went through the system last season and is now in the three-day Unicorns Championship squad.
Three players will make their Devon Lions' debuts against Gloucestershire: Charlie Barriball, Sam Read and Jack Moore. All have impressed in league cricket this season for their club sides. Read, who turns out for Clyst St George, has hit four league centuries so far.
You may also want to watch:
Tim Western, the director of the Lions project, said: "This is a great opportunity for these players, who have been performing well within the league, to test themselves at the next level up."
Devon Lions: R J Thomas (Sidmouth), C Barriball (Tavistock), M P Skeemer (Cornwood), T J R Codd (Bovey Tracey), J S Moore (North Devon), J H G Degg (Torquay), M J Petherbridge (Plymouth), G B Allen (Torquay), T W Simmons (Sidmouth), S Read (Clyst St George), B Beaumont (Cornwood), D M V Fogerty (Hatherleigh).
- 1 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 2 August celebrations at Manstone Lane – Home of the Vikings
- 3 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 4 Property of the Week: Wolversleigh Farm
- 5 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 6 Return to online meetings thanks to progressive alliance
- 7 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
- 8 Artists given a masterclass in watercolour painting
- 9 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 10 New minibus takes voluntary service's fleet to three