Sidmouth CC suffer another player loss as Powell heads for Heathcoat
- Credit: Archant
SIDMOUTH have been rocked by a third departure since the start of the season as up-and-coming keeper-batsman Dan Powell has left for Heathcoat, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
Powell, 17, has followed Dom Bess and cousin Zak out of the Fortfield to pastures new.
Spinner Dom signed for Exeter the week before the league season started with Zak going to the same club two weeks ago.
All three have gone in search of regular 1st XI cricket and a meaningful role in their teams.
Sidmouth skipper Will Murray has been exasperated to lose three promising young players – and hopes Powell will be the last to leave.
You may also want to watch:
Murray said when he heard Powell was leaving he tried to talk him round, but quickly realised it was a waste of time.
“Dan’s mind was already made up and nothing I could say would change it,” said Murray.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
“He wants to bat in the top three and keep wicket, which is something we are not able to guarantee and Heathcoat are.”
Murray said Powell would have been offered a run at six had he stayed, but that wasn’t enough of a carrot.
“He has seen the way we have been batting this season and didn’t think he would get in that often or for that long,” said Murray.