Sidmouth CC suffer another player loss as Powell heads for Heathcoat
- Credit: Archant
SIDMOUTH have been rocked by a third departure since the start of the season as up-and-coming keeper-batsman Dan Powell has left for Heathcoat, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
Powell, 17, has followed Dom Bess and cousin Zak out of the Fortfield to pastures new.
Spinner Dom signed for Exeter the week before the league season started with Zak going to the same club two weeks ago.
All three have gone in search of regular 1st XI cricket and a meaningful role in their teams.
Sidmouth skipper Will Murray has been exasperated to lose three promising young players – and hopes Powell will be the last to leave.
You may also want to watch:
Murray said when he heard Powell was leaving he tried to talk him round, but quickly realised it was a waste of time.
“Dan’s mind was already made up and nothing I could say would change it,” said Murray.
- 1 Husband and wife team take over at White & Son Shoes
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 New women’s team created at Sidmouth Rugby Club
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 Men replicating ladies at Ottery Bowls Club
- 6 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 7 Latest news and results from Sidmouth Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
“He wants to bat in the top three and keep wicket, which is something we are not able to guarantee and Heathcoat are.”
Murray said Powell would have been offered a run at six had he stayed, but that wasn’t enough of a carrot.
“He has seen the way we have been batting this season and didn’t think he would get in that often or for that long,” said Murray.