Sidmouth challenge results in foursome success
- Credit: Archant
The Ladies of Sidmouth Golf Club issued a challenge to the men recently, to play in a four-person team competition, two ladies and two men, writes John Barnard.
There isn’t many times that the men and ladies do play together, but 28 men accepted the challenge and played last Wednesday morning.
The format was a drop out scramble medal so all four players tee off, the best drive is then chosen. That ball is picked up and the other three play from that spot and so on until a ball is holed.
There is a skill in deciding whose drive to take on each hole as all four players have to have at least four drives on the card. The four players handicaps are added up, 10 per cent calculated and this is then deducted from the final gross score (it sounds complicated but it is simple in practice).
Fourteen teams were able take up the challenge, and, in pride of place, were Marie Timms, Susan Hackett, Lester Willmington and David Stone. They scored an excellent 60.6, 5.4 better than the medal card.
You may also want to watch:
Second were Coral Roberts, Rosemary Walker, Don Cooper and Bruce Harcourt with 61.5. Well, in third, with 64.1 were Sheila Faulkner, Andrea Milton, Bob Cook and Club Captain John Barnard.
Lady captain Margaret Deuce made the presentations to a packed clubhouse in the afternoon. The weather was excellent and there was agreement that a great time had been had by all and this must be repeated.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby