Sidmouth Charity Sevens success for Takapuna Turtles
- Credit: Archant
On Bank Holiday Sunday, seven teams contested the Sidmouth RFC Charity Sevens to draw the curtain on the 2016-17 season at the Blackmore Field in damp conditions, writes Terry O’Brien.
A late withdrawal required a rearrangement of the format, but matches got under way on time.
The first-round winners were Taunton based Takapuna Turtles, Aniers RFC from Wellington and Sidmouth second team entry, The Dwarfs. Lyme Bay Barbarians were given a bye.
These teams would go on to play for the Cup. The losing teams, which contested for the Plate, were Woodroffe VII, Sidmouth Rugby and Sidmouth Colts.
The Cup was a knock out competition and the semi-finals closely fought games. Takapuna Turtles beat Aniers RFC 31-21 and Lyme Bay Barbarians prevailed against The Dwarfs 15-10.
You may also want to watch:
The Plate was played as a triangular round robin competition. Both Sidmouth Rugby and Sidmouth Colts were comfortable winners over Woodroffe VII leaving them to play off for the trophy. In the most exciting game of the day the youngsters gained a famous victory over the senior players by 19-15.
In the play-off for third place, Aniers beat The Dwarfs 45-0.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
The Cup final was a close match until half-time. In the second-half the superior fitness of the Takapuna Turtles enable them to run away to a 35-10 victory.
The presentations were made by David Salter representing the event sponsors Fords of Sidmouth.
He thanked the spectators for braving the weather and the referees for their important contribution before presenting the Plate to Sidmouth Colts and the Cup to Takapuna Turtles.
The event raised over £400 for the Devon Air Ambulance Trust.