Sidmouth Charles Stanley Monday Stableford triumph for High Dorliac
- Credit: Archant
I mentioned the poor scoring in last week’s report, but for this week’s Charles Stanley Monday Stableford, the position couldn’t be more opposite, writes John Barnard.
Seniors captain Hugh Dorliac was this week’s leader with a magnificent 45 points.
After a good start, he ‘blobbed’ on holes three and four, but he didn’t let this put him off.
He then managed three birdies in the next six holes and played solid golf up to the 16th.
Most players when they get a good score can look back on how it could have been even better. I’m sure Hugh will do the same as he bogied the last two relatively easy holes and with two no scores earlier, he could have been looking at a scoring approaching 50!
You may also want to watch:
However, he won two lots of prize money, the seniors competition and the main club competition along with a some money for a ‘two’ and it is a round he will remember for a very long time.
In second place was senior Chris Grubb with 41 points. He had a slow front nine but coming back in, off his handicap of 13 he managed a level gross back nine, including two birdies.
- 1 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 2 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 3 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 4 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Hospitality needs a 'seat at cabinet the table' in Westminster - Michael Caines
- 7 An extra £4.6 billion made available to support UK businesses during lockdown
- 8 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 9 TOTO TALK - musings of a dog about town
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
This gave him second place on countback from Steve Milton. Steve has looked like he had a good round in him for a number of weeks. He started steadily, one worse than level two’s on the front nine.
His round really came alive over the last five holes though as he managed four birdies.
The bogie on 17 will have frustrated him though and cost him second place.
Still, he has managed to get down to a handicap of seven for the first time which will give him much pleasure!