Sidmouth Charles Stanley stableford success for John Rockey
- Credit: Â© Royalty-Free/CORBIS
This week’s Charles Stanley Monday Stableford was won by veteran John Rockey which will have pleased all his many friends in the clubhouse, writes John Barnard.
His handicap has been on the rise since his captaincy finished a few years ago, a combination of age and eyesight issues has continued to plague his game, but he has battled on through and this week, shot an excellent 43 points.
Birdies on holes two and four got him off on the right track, but really, it was closing with six consecutive pars that sealed his score and will have given him great pleasure.
The scoring was as good as any time of the year, with 15 players scoring better than their handicap. Simon Emerson was second with 42 points.
It was a very consistent round for Simon, nine pars and a birdie, offset by one no score and two double bogies, nothing unusual there then!
You may also want to watch:
David Bater was third and showed what a strange game golf is.
On Saturday he took 16 shots on the last three holes to wreck his round.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
On Monday, he finished birdie, birdie, birdie; nine shots so seven better than two days before!
In the Eclectic, no change from the previous week. Mike Knight leads with a nett 46, closely followed on 47 by Harrison Jones, Jonathan Lee and Hugh Dorliac.