Sidmouth Charles Stanley Stableford success for Nick Gingell
- Credit: Archant
The Charles Stanley Monday stableford was played in perfect conditions this week, writes John Barnard.
Clear blue skies, little wind, fast true greens meant no excuses could be made about poor scores (plenty were though!).
All day, golfers were going out in regular intervals and by 6pm in the evening, Howard Cushing was sitting on the top of the leader board with 38 points and looked to have won.
However, late in the day, local all-round sportsman Nick Gingell (in his time, first team Sidmouth player in cricket, rugby, golf etc) ventured onto the course having not played for quite a while, and ambled round playing just 67 shots to rack up an excellent 42 points.
After a slow start and a few dropped shots in the first few holes, Nick then proceeded with a series of pars until he eagled thirteen and birdied fourteen to get him back on track and then parred back in so his handicap has reduced to five.
You may also want to watch:
Howard looked to be playing to his handicap most of the way round, but he finished with two pars to achieve 38 points. Bob Cook was third, winning on countback from Chris Roberts and Glen Hewitt. A birdie on the 12th and a par on the 18th kept Bob ahead.
In the birdie count, Jonathan Lee is keeping his nose in front, leading John Jones by nine. In the eclectic, Jonathan eagled the first which moved him two shots ahead of Mike Knight and Martyn White.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 7 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 8 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 9 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 10 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections