Sidmouth Charles Stanley stableford success for Puckey
- Credit: Archant
The wonderful autumn weather has continued meaning playing golf at Sidmouth an absolute joy at present, writes John Barnard.
This hasn’t been reflected in the scores though and on Monday, standard scratch was set at 67 rather than the usual 66 for competitions off the yellow tees.
The Charles Stanley Monday Stableford was won this week by Ashton Puckey with 39 points. After a steady start, the front nine didn’t go too well, but on the back nine, five pars and an eagle on the 13th off a handicap of 15 meant a winning score. Ashton won on countback from club captain John Barnard who has found a run of form in the last couple of weeks.
He may be regretting birdying the 18th however as that put him into the exceptional reduction category so instead of being reduced to 7.7 (8), he was ‘Rockeyed’ and reduced to 5.7 (6) – without even winning!
His playing partners are very pleased and looking forward to the winter when he will be giving them lots of shots and money. Luke Sheppard was third with 37 points. He had a great start, birdying the first two holes, but a couple of double bogies halted his progress.
You may also want to watch:
In the birdie count and eclectic, all the main players are losing balls and money in Scotland so there is no change.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors