Sidmouth Charles Stanley stableford success for Puckey
- Credit: Archant
The wonderful autumn weather has continued meaning playing golf at Sidmouth an absolute joy at present, writes John Barnard.
This hasn’t been reflected in the scores though and on Monday, standard scratch was set at 67 rather than the usual 66 for competitions off the yellow tees.
The Charles Stanley Monday Stableford was won this week by Ashton Puckey with 39 points. After a steady start, the front nine didn’t go too well, but on the back nine, five pars and an eagle on the 13th off a handicap of 15 meant a winning score. Ashton won on countback from club captain John Barnard who has found a run of form in the last couple of weeks.
He may be regretting birdying the 18th however as that put him into the exceptional reduction category so instead of being reduced to 7.7 (8), he was ‘Rockeyed’ and reduced to 5.7 (6) – without even winning!
His playing partners are very pleased and looking forward to the winter when he will be giving them lots of shots and money. Luke Sheppard was third with 37 points. He had a great start, birdying the first two holes, but a couple of double bogies halted his progress.
You may also want to watch:
In the birdie count and eclectic, all the main players are losing balls and money in Scotland so there is no change.
- 1 Husband and wife team take over at White & Son Shoes
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 New women’s team created at Sidmouth Rugby Club
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 Men replicating ladies at Ottery Bowls Club
- 6 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 7 Latest news and results from Sidmouth Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home