Sidmouth Chiefs and their first game of a new year
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth begin a new year on Saturday (January 6) with a Western Counties (W) trip to Paignton, but how have the Chiefs fared in the first game of a new year in recent campaigns?
Twelve months ago, on January 7, the Chiefs were 39-12 victors at the Blackmore against visiting Wadebridge Camels. That proved to be one of just three wins in the opening game of a new year since 2010.
Just like they will this Saturday, back in the 2009/10 campaign – one that saw Sidmouth Chiefs plying their trade in Tribute South West One (W) – they also started the year with a meeting against Paignton, but this one was at home and the visitors ended the match as victors to the tune of a 14-13 score line.
The first game of 2016 was a Western Counties (W) match at home to Cullompton that saw the Mid Devon men win 27-10, but the first game of 2015 saw the Chiefs win 34-26 at Torquay Athletic.
Twelve months before, on January 11, 2014, Chiefs went down 46-15 at St Austell, and they also lost their first outing of 2013, beaten 26-14 at Wadebridge Camels.
You may also want to watch:
The first game of 2013 did not take place until the final Saturday of January as a hard – and wet – winter, led to multiple early year match day cancellations.
There was success for the Chiefs in their first game of 2012, a 19-14 win at Cullompton on the first Saturday of the year and, in 2011, they began the year with a trip to Old Redcliffians that saw them lose 34-14.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
It remains to be seen how the Chiefs fare in their opening game of 2018, but hopefully we shall be reporting on a seventh successive win for the team after their visit to Paignton.