Sidmouth Chiefs beaten in opening league game of new season
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth were beaten 36-15 in their opening Tribute South West One game at Cleve.
However, it had all begun so promisingly got the Chiefs who made a bright start and were quickly into their stride with two Luke Wells-Burr tries and a Dan Retter conversion seeing them into an early 12-0 lead.
The home side got a converted try back before the break and then levelled things up early in the second half.
However, a Retter penalty just after parity had been restored saw the Chiefs back into the lead.
In a see-saw contest, Cleve took the lead for the first time midway through the second half with a try.
You may also want to watch:
Sadly, for a good band of travelling support, the home side struck again to take a 24-15 lead as the Chiefs defence, that had been so dominant throughout the first 40 minutes, began to creak!
It was the home side who finished the stronger and, at full-time it was Cleve celebrating opening day success.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown