Sidmouth Chiefs comprehensively beaten at Teignmouth

Teignmouth showed why they are favourites to gain promotion with a comprehensive 57-3 victory over the Chiefs, writes Terry O’Brien.

They dominated in all phases of the game, denying the Chiefs possession and forcing them to live off scraps. The few opportunities Sidmouth managed to create were wasted through poor execution and decision making.

The Chiefs had a chance to make an early impression, when they regained possession from their own kick off. They failed to capitalise from an overlap and then from a Steve Trim break from a tap penalty, which had the defence in disarray. A penalty attempt was also wide of the mark.

Not so when Teignmouth’s launched their first attack. The Chiefs were penalised at a scrum on their 22 and the fly half opened the scoring.

The home side soon added a try when the number 8 broke to the right of a 5 metre scrum. When he was stopped, the ball was switched to an overlap on the left for the winger to dart over in the corner. The fly half kicked the first of seven conversions.

You may also want to watch:

Teignmouth dominated possession and territory for much of the half and, despite determined Sidmouth defence, they added two more tries. The first was touched down by the number six from a lineout catch-and-drive play. The second came from an overthrown Sidmouth lineout. The ball bounced straight into the hands of the scrum half. He was supported by the number 8, who burst through the middle before sending the outside centre in under the posts.

The Chiefs backs did manage to produce one fluent move to send Jevon Astley-Jones on a run down the left, but the cover defence closed it down to leave the half time score at 0-24.

Most Read

From the second half kick-off, left winger Luke Bess broke clear on a 50 metres run to the opposing 22, where Teignmouth were penalised and Cameron Grainger kicked the goal.

Teignmouth replied immediately, regaining possession from the restart kick. The forwards drove to the line before the ball was released to the backs and along the line to an overlap on the left for the wingman to score his second try.

Teignmouth kept a firm grip on the game for the remainder of the half, adding four more tries. The right winger finished off a set move from a scrum in the 22, and then added a second when he followed up a well-directed diagonal kick. The number 12 profited from a break by his fellow centre. And in the last minute the fly half scooped up a dropped ball to score under the posts.

The Dukes Man of the Match was Steve Trim.

Saturday is ‘One Big Club’ day at the Blackmore Field, when the Chiefs entertain Torquay Athletic, kicking off at 3pm. The match will be preceded at 2pm by and exhibition of tag rugby by the Under-7 and Under-8 squads. The afternoon also features a beer festival opening at 1pm and a hog roast from half time.

The 2nd XV travel to Torquay, while the Colts are away to River Exe Colts, an amalgamation of Withycombe and Topsham.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus