Sidmouth Chiefs march on / Sidmouth Town exit Devon Premier Cup - Saturday night sports round-up
- Credit: Archant
Saturday’s sporting round-up: Sidmouth Chiefs continue unbeaten run, but Town exit Devon Premier Cup, however wins for the other three Town senior teams and a narrow cup defeat for Ottery St Mary
It was a good day for Sidmouth RFC as they continued their unbeaten start to the Western Counties (West) league season, winning at Chard, but a disappointing one for Sidmouth Town footballers, beaten 4-3 after extra-time at Holsworthy in a Devon Premier Cup match.
The rugby team were 27-24 victors on their visit to Chard and that sees them sitting three points clear of second placed Crediton, who were 19-8 winners at home to Saltash and seven ahead of third placed St Austell, who were beaten 23-20 at Bideford. The other Western Counties (W) results for the first Saturday of November were: Falmouth 20, Paignton 7; Wadebridge Camels 24, Truro 13; Wellington 29, Tiverton 23 and Winscombe 21, Kingsbridge 13.
Devon Senior Cup holders Sidmouth Town Reserves still have both hands on the trophy after a 5-1 victory at Tedburn St Mary, but Ottery St Mary are out, the Otters were beaten 2-1 by Division One table-toppers Kentisbeare. Also out of the same competition are Otterton, who were beaten 2-0 at D & C Auto repairs.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth Town thirds also made cup progress, in their case it was with a thrilling penalty shoot-out win to defeat Upton Athletic Reserves 3-1 on the spot kicks after the sides drew 1-1.
Completing a good day for the Sidmouth Town senior sides below the first team, the fourths beat Otterton Reserves 3-2 in a Macron League Division Seven game.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 6 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 9 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 10 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair