Sidmouth Chiefs show progress is being made as they slip to Camels defeat

Half time team talk. Sidmouth chiefs at Blackmore to Wadebridge. Photo by Terry Ife ref shsp 8212-45

Half time team talk. Sidmouth chiefs at Blackmore to Wadebridge. Photo by Terry Ife ref shsp 8212-45-13TI To order your copy of this photograph go to and click on myphotos24 - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Chiefs 16, Wadebridge Camels 23 Despite having to make five changes to the starting line-up, the Chiefs continued their incremental improvement in performance and gained a second bonus point in the process, writes Terry O’Brien.

Wadebridge kicked off with a stiff breeze drifting the ball towards the hospital touchline. The Chiefs failed to secure the ball allowing the visitors to go on the offensive. The Chiefs were forced to defend vigorously for the next five minutes, until a penalty enabled them to lift the siege. But the relief was only temporary. Wadebridge were soon back on the attack. After another five minutes of pressure their influential number eight drove forward following a quick tap penalty and the left winger was in support to dive over in the corner. The try was unconverted.

Wadebridge continued to dominate proceedings until they added a second try midway through the half. This time the hooker finished things off when the Chiefs eventually ran out of defenders following a series of ruck near the line. The fly half added the conversion.

Dan Retter eventually got the scoreboard moving for his side after a fine break by James Powell had created the attacking position.

Minutes later the Chiefs showed that they too could retain possession through many phases. Good approach work by backs and forwards created space on the right to give Tom Huggett a run. From just outside the 22, the flanker-turned-prop burst through two tackles to score an unconverted try.

You may also want to watch:

When the Chiefs failed to control the ball at the back of a scrum inside their own 22, Wadebridge turned over possession and good handling created space for the left winger to score his second try.

In the final minute of the half, the Chiefs reduced the arrears to four points once again. Nick Mills peeled off on the blind side of a driving maul and found Steve Trim in support to sprint over in the right corner.

Most Read

With the Chiefs struggling to secure their own lineout ball, and Wadebridge controlling the ball well in contact, play was confined to the Sidmouth half for much of the third quarter. A spirited defence kept the line intact, but two penalties extended the lead.

The Chiefs eventually broke out and a well-placed kick into the box by Steve Trim forced the full back to concede a five metre scrum. They chose to attack a narrow blindside and were easily forced into touch. However, they maintained the attacking position and were eventually rewarded with a Dan Retter penalty to put them back within seven points and a bonus point.

Wadebridge dominated the closing stages but the Chiefs resisted a series of forward drives. With less than two minutes to play, a man-and-ball try-saving cover tackle by Steve Trim denied the visitors a four try bonus point while securing one for his own team.

The Dukes Man of the Match award went to Gavin Pearson for a high tackle count, which typified the Sidmouth defensive effort.

So, progress made, but a settled side and more composure at critical times might have produced victory rather than honourable defeat. Guts and determination will only get you so far at this level.

On Saturday the Chiefs travel to Bridgewater and Albion.

At the Blackmore the Quins entertain Crediton 2nds kicking off at 2.30pm.

The Colts play Ivybridge Colts at Sidford with a 2.30pm kick off.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus