Sidmouth Chiefs topple Truro to register third win of season in Cornwall

Sidmouth 2nds at home to Exeter Engineers at the Sidford ground. Ref shsp 06 18TI 7053. Picture: Ter

Sidmouth 2nds at home to Exeter Engineers at the Sidford ground. Ref shsp 06 18TI 7053. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Chiefs chalked up a third win in Cornwall with a 28-10 success at Truro, to continue their rise up the league table, writes Terry O’Brien.

After a shaky start, they dominated much of the game in difficult conditions.

Overnight rain, a cold cross wind and frequent showers made life difficult for both teams, who did well to overcome the conditions and produce an entertaining game.

Truro made an excellent start after regaining possession from the kick-off. They maintained possession through several phases.

The Sidmouth defence proved resilient until the fifth minute, when Truro moved the ball quickly to an overlap on the left for the winger to sprint in at the corner for an unconverted try.

You may also want to watch:

The Chiefs were soon on the attack at the other end, but a long period of pressure went unrewarded with Dan Retter uncharacteristically missing two kicks at goal.

However, the fly half’s quick thinking eventually led to the Chiefs’ opening score.

Most Read

He took a quick tap penalty on the halfway line and the ball was quickly moved along the backline to Ethan Mead in space. He outpaced the cover and cut inside to touch down under the posts. Dan Retter added the conversion.

The Chiefs continued to dominate territory and eventually, after a long period of pressure, Dan Retter dummied his way over following a ruck near the line. He converted his own try to make the half-time score 14-5.

Truro started the second half strongly and were soon pressing on the Sidmouth line.

This time the defence held firm and, when the ball was knocked on, they started a counterattack, which took play from their own line into the Truro half.

The Sidmouth forwards had the Truro eight under pressure at two consecutive scrums inside the 22.

From the second, a move to the left was finished off by Sione Livai with a powerful drive over the line. Dan Retter converted.

Although the Chiefs continued to enjoy territorial advantage, they rarely looked like scoring a bonus point third try until two minutes from the end of normal time.

Cameron Grainger, playing at flanker, made the initial break into the Truro 22 and the forwards were in quick support to carry the ball on through several phases until Sione Livai drove over for his second try, which was converted by Dan Retter.

Truro went on the attack straight from the restart kick and, deep into injury time scored a second try, when the outside centre cut through a gap to gallop over. The try was unconverted.

On Saturday (February 10) the Chiefs travel to Tiverton for a match re-arranged from January 20. The Colts are away to Wellington Colts.

There is no home game but the clubhouse will be open for anyone wishing to watch the 6 Nations internationals: Ireland v Italy at 2.15pm and England v Wales at 4.45pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus