Sidmouth Chiefs toppled once again on their own turf

Sidmouth Chiefs at home to Wellington. Ref shsp 13-17TI 9497. Picture: Terry Ife

Sidmouth Chiefs at home to Wellington. Ref shsp 13-17TI 9497. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Chiefs slipped to their fourth consecutive home defeat, in which they have conceded an average of 34 points, going down 48-16, enabling St Austell to leapfrog them into seventh place in the league, writes Terry O’Brien.

Overnight rain and frequent showers throughout the afternoon created a treacherous slippery surface, better suited to the visitor’s stronger pack.

Unwisely, Sidmouth, too often tried to take on the St Austell forwards at close range rather than kicking for position at the earliest opportunity to keep the ball away from the opposition strength.

St Austell got off to a flying start with two tries inside the opening 10 minutes, both from forward power.

In the fifth minute the number eight galloped his way over on the blindside of a ruck after a period of pressure on the Sidmouth line.

You may also want to watch:

The second came from a lineout catch-and-drive play touched down by the number six, which was converted.

The Chiefs fought back strongly through the middle of the half to give their supporters hope.

Most Read

Luke Wells-Burr chased a Tom Whelan grubber kick and hacked on over the line before winning the chase to touch down for an unconverted try.

Further Sidmouth pressure was rewarded by two Tom Whelan penalties to take them within one point.

St Austell extended their lead, when they won a scrum against the head on the Sidmouth 22.

The fly half supported a break by the inside centre to touch down. The try was unconverted.

The closing minutes of the half were played out in the Sidmouth half, but determined defence kept the line intact and the score remained 11-17 at half-time.

A penalty kick soon increased the lead as the St Austell pack took a firm grip on the game against a tiring Sidmouth pack.

They frequently turned over possession in the contact area, putting them on the front foot.

Whenever they got near the Sidmouth line they posed a threat and all the remaining tries came from close range.

A break by the number eight from a scrum took play to the Sidmouth line and the fly half applied the finishing touch to secure a bonus point. The conversion opened up a 16 point lead.

The number eight scored his second try from a pushover of a five metre scrum before the Chiefs had their one purple patch of the half following a penalty kick into the 22. From the resulting lineout, they set up a maul and, after a short drive, Sidmouth’s stand-out player Gavin Pearson peeled off and powered his way almost to the line. A couple of rucks later, Pearson got his hands on the ball again to drive over for an unconverted try.

St Austell soon regained control of the game to score two late tries. The tight head prop forced his way over after a series of rucks near the line before the inside centre cut through the middle following a five metre scrum.

Both tries were converted.

On Saturday the Chiefs travel hoping to complete the double over relegation-threatened Tiverton.

On the Blackmore Field, the Quins entertain Tiverton 2nds kicking off at 3pm.

The Colts play Torquay Colts at Sidford with a 3pm kick-off.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus