Sidmouth Chiefs win well at Cullompton

Sidmouth chiefs at home to Exeter University. Ref shsp 3377-37-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

Sidmouth chiefs at home to Exeter University. Ref shsp 3377-37-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Chiefs bounced back in style with a bonus point success, and with it laid claim to local bragging rights, thanks to a 33-18 success at Cullompton.

Sidmouth kicked off in perfect conditions at Stafford Park and took an early lead when Luke Wells-Burr did well to keep an attempted touch finder in play. He passed infield to Sam Cavin supporting from full back and his long pass found Zac Bess. The left winger beat three defenders on his way to the line. Dan Retter added the conversion.

Cullompton showed their ability to keep possession through the phases to create pressure in the Sidmouth half and their persistence was rewarded with a penalty struck by the number 12.

In the middle of the half, the Chiefs extended their lead with a well-worked try from a scrum midway along the 22 metres line. The impressive Ollie May broke from number eight to cross the gain line and found Paul Richardson in support. Once again Sam Cavin was on hand to provide the link to send Zac Bess in for his second try, which was unconverted.

The home side hit back almost immediately when the inside centre burst through a couple of tackles and found the number seven in support to finish the move off. The try was unconverted.

You may also want to watch:

On the half hour, the Chiefs scored the try of the match, when Cullompton overthrew at a lineout deep inside the Sidmouth 22. Stuart Bickerstaff latched on to the loose ball and linked with his backs. Good handling sent James Powell on a run into Cullompton territory. He found plenty of support and the move was finished off by Luke Wells-Burr. Dan Retter kicked the conversion.

Cullompton finished the half strongly and a second penalty by the number 12 made the half time score 19-11.

Most Read

Five minutes into the second half the Chiefs notched up the bonus point fourth try. A series of forward drives near the line stretched the defence but there was still much to do when the ball was released to the backs. Accurate handling , and a pass under pressure out of the top drawer from Rory O’Brien, put Zac Bess in at the corner for his hat-trick. Dan Retter converted from wide out.

The Chiefs opened up a winning margin when Paul Richardson took a quick tap penalty in front of the Cullompton posts and more slick passing by the backs was finished off by Luke Wells-Burr. Retter again converted from the touchline.

When the Chiefs failed to control the ball in a scrum, the Cullompton flanker launched an attack, which took play into the Sidmouth 22. The Chiefs were forced to desperately defend their line. They did so successfully until a knock on gave them an opportunity to clear upfield.

Cullompton finished the game strongly and were rewarded with a late try when a forward forced his way over following a quick tap penalty. The try was converted before the Chiefs played out the remainder of the game without incident.

On Saturday the Chiefs travel to take on Devonport Services in the first round of the Devon Intermediate Cup. The Quins travel to play Teignmouth 2nds.

At the Blackmore Field, the newly revived 3rd Team entertain Exeter Engineers 2nds, a team of university students. The kick off is at 3pm.

The Colts play Bideford Colts at Sidford with a 3pm kick off.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus