Sidmouth close in on Lyme Regis in Seniors Interclub Winter League Cup
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth leg of the seniors winter league held between Sidmouth, Lyme Regis and Axe Cliff Golf Clubs was held on an icy cold December day with freezing fog threatening to stop this second leg of teams of eight players from each of the three clubs, writes Chris Grubb.
Fortunately, the sun broke through and, after a delayed start the match went ahead. Playing in threes with one player from each club the format was individual stableford scoring with all scores to count in a cumulative total over three legs.
The first leg was held at Lyme Regis in November, when Lyme, with home advantage, won on the day with 261 points with Sidmouth on 238 points and Axe Cliff on 225 points.
This time the conditions were difficult with a few temporary greens due to the frost, but again home advantage meant Sidmouth took the second leg with 267 points, beating Lyme on 249 and Axe Cliff on 220 points.
With just five cumulative points advantage to take to Axe Cliff in January, Lyme Regis will be trying to keep Sidmouth at bay, whilst hoping Axe Cliff playing on home turf don’t have a late surge to overtake them both.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth seniors captain Hugh Dorliac is hoping his team will prevail and bring home the Seniors Interclub Winter League Cup back to Sidmouth, but expects a very close match to the finish.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge